Friday, June 22, 2012

pre-weekend update

Hi everyone, I know it's been a while since I have posted and in the meantime, I have been using some of my Pinterest pins in real life.

Cooking:
We ran into the issue that we did not have food in the house... I mean, we had food but we didn't have dinner to eat so I offered to cook dinner on Wednesday. I rifled through my Pinterest board, aptly named "Food Obsession" and I found this delicious Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo recipe. I made some changes (like we don't do skim milk in my house.. so it's lowfat milk) and surprisingly enough, everyone enjoyed it and it was finished by lunch time Thursday, which is a big deal in this house. I am the child that everyone assumes can't cook because I choose not to. My sister is the big chef in the family, aside from my mother. She gets cooking urges and makes things like Auntie Anne's imitation pretzels or chocolate lava pots or grilled cheese with avocado.







Gifting:
Yesterday was my mother's birthday and she does not like to share this detail with people. However, in the house, we went all out for her. I personally pulled an all nighter and painted her a new piece for the living room. It was based off of a DIY project I saw on Pinterest (and I apparently never repinned it.. so when I find the link I will post it) and basically it is a collage of family photos in black and white and they were layered on a canvas panel. I then painted over them in a glue and water mixture (since I don't have more Mod Podge) and let them dry and then I placed the letters on it and painted on it. I think it came out pretty good, but I think I should have used sticker paper because the letters did not come all the way off and so there are random white spots which gives it this interesting texture, but that was not how it was intended to look.
Before


After


Other News:
I am now a proud owner of a clownfish! His name is Reginald and I love him dearly already. He lives in the saltwater tank we have in our living room with this other unidentifiable fish.




Has anyone used a Pinterest pin they found and how did it come out?

2 comments:

carlia said... [Reply]

way to go on actually putting those pins to use! mine are pretty much just wall art for my PC at the moment. ;) congrats on the new addition to your family!

thanks so much for your comment on my blog! it was so sweet and so supportive. :)

Callia Armelle said... [Reply]

Love pinterest boards, such an easy way to get inspired. Love your blog btw.

xx, Callia.

the-nativenewyorker.com